How to decorate with candy canes
A fun and fresh way to use candy canes for the holidays is to incorporate them into your home décor. Designer Libby Langdon shows us how two of her creative candy cane decorating ideas - a candy cane vase and a candy cane candle.
For decorating a candy cane vase:
- Choose any kind of candy cane you want: sticks, hooks, old-fashioned large ones, et cetera. You should have enough to surround or line one side of your container.
- Choose a container that matches the candy canes in size. Good options include a clear glass cylinder vase, a square vase, or a hurricane for a candle.
- Line up the candy canes side-by-side all around the container and secure them with a rubber band.
- Tie a piece of ribbon around the container and candy canes over the rubber band. Add a sprig of greenery into the knot to spice it up.
This candy cane vase can be used to hold a candle, or for a holiday arrangement with flowers and branches.
For decorating a candy cane candle:
- Wrap a rubber band around the candle so it is snug.
- Insert your candy canes all around the candle of the same approximate height under the rubber band.
- Tie a ribbon around the candle to hide the rubber band.
- You can also add a little holly to spruce it up.
- Make sure to keep the ribbon and holly away from the candle's flame.