How to choose a kitchen design for your remodel
Learn which of the four basic kitchen layouts fits your space and cooking personality before you visit another showroom. With simple steps and tips, professional designer Nadia Geller shows you how easy it is to be prepared and inspired using the gallery of pre-made layouts featured in Autodesk Homestyler, the free online 3D home design software. Keywords: do it yourself kitchen remodeling ideas free kitchen design software online kitchen design ideas kitchen layouts and design kitchen remodeling design.
- The first step is to decide which of the four basic kitchen designs you want— Island, Galley, U-Shaped, L-Shaped. This is your biggest decision that almost everything else builds off of.
- Use Homestyler.com to visualize your ideas and see what works best. If you're stuck for ideas, start with one from the gallery of pre-made designs.
- Now to the appliances. Experiment with different brands and finishes and play around with multiple combinations.
- Always consider your work triangle— the space you cover when you're going from stove to sink to refrigerator. This is critical when designing an efficient kitchen.
- Once you've decided on a layout and your appliances, visit a showroom. Be sure to print out your designs and your itemized product list directly from Homestyler.com and bring them with you so you can see if your selections really live up to your expectations.
- Above all else, your kitchen should save you time and effort. Think of the things you use most, and make sure they're easy to get to. Also, make sure you have a place for everything.