How to make a building blocks cake
Prepare the building block cake shapes and frosting
- In a small bowl for each color, tint 1 cup frosting red, 1 cup frosting yellow and 2/3 cup frosting blue with food colors. Leave remaining frosting white.
- Using serrated knife, cut rounded dome from top of cake to make flat surface; place cake cut side down. Cut cake crosswise into thirds. Cut one of the thirds in half crosswise to make 2 squares. Place cake pieces on tray.
- Crumb coat top and sides of 1 square cake with thin layer of blue frosting and 1 square cake with thin layer of white frosting. Crumb-coat 1 rectangular cake with thin layer of yellow frosting and 1 rectangular cake with thin layer of red frosting. Refrigerate or freeze 30 to 60 minutes until set.
Decorating the block cakes
- Add final coat of frosting to each cake.
- Frost 4 marshmallow halves with blue frosting; place in square design on blue cake. Frost 4 marshmallow halves with white frosting; place in square design on white cake. Frost 8 marshmallow halves with yellow frosting; place on yellow cake. Frost 8 marshmallow halves with red frosting; place on red cake.
- Store loosely covered at room temperature.
The building block cakes recipe serves 12.