How to grill a burger on a gas grill
Chef Elias's burger recipe yields four 8 ounce burger patties.
- Combine Ingredients: 2 pounds ground sirloin, ½ cup tomato juice (keeps juicy), one egg (holds meat together), 1 tsp. salt ½ tsp. black pepper
- Shape mixture into four half pound (8 oz. burgers)
- Score top into checkered design
- Place burgers on very hot gas grill (500—600 degrees)
- Cover grill to cook evenly and sear in juices
- Flip burgers with spatula half way through the cook time, depending on your preferred doneness. When grilling burgers on a gas grill this is:
- Medium Rare: 8 minutes total. Flip at 4 minutes.
- Medium: 10-12 minute total. Flip at 5-6 minutes.
- Resist the urge to press the burger down. This will only release juices and diminish flavor.
- Close lid again grilling burgers for the remaining 4-6 minutes.
- Use the "hand trick" to tell doneness.
- Medium rare: should feel like the base of your thumb -- spongy with a little bit of give.
- Medium: should feel like the middle of your palm -- firmer.